Trion Worlds Shared New Update about ArcheAge US & EU Localization
Trion Worlds' CEO Scott Hartsman talked
about ArcheAge's US and EU localization in a pre-GDC interview with MMORPG.com and shared with us how it is going on recently. Hartsman said with the game
being released in Russia, XLGames has been able to double down on the remaining
engineering needed for the US & EU version.
The biggest challenge other than translation is the engineering work, according to Hartsman, who lists the major tech work they are into currently:
- Making the game support three languages in the same version. The other regions don’t need to do that – They’re all single-language. (…so we can ship in our US and EU languages…)
- Integration with our account system (…so people can log in...)
- Integration with our patching service (…so people can update…)
- Integration with our operational system (…so we can run the servers at scale on our cross-continent infrastructure in the US and EU…)
- Implementation of game customizations for the western audience (…so the game is properly amazing…)
- Integration with our billing/wallet/mtx system (…so the game’s model can be the one that will make it the biggest, most enduring success, and fits in with western expectation of free yet fair…)
- Integration with our data services (…both so we have the ability to answer customer petitions with useful information, and we can understand how the game’s being used…)
- Implementation of the elements for our business model (…so the model fits the audience and the game...)
Speaking of the F2P model for ArcheAge, Hartsman gave an example of how they were going to make "No tricks, no traps" concept work in the game. "A couple of the best examples are gliders and mounts. Currently, the best ones in the game in some regions are exclusively purchasable from the store. That may be ideal for the other markets, but doesn't fit the western 'No tricks, no traps' F2P vision and sensibility. What we do with mounts and gliders is to make sure that you get some solid enjoyment when you purchase one, but you're still earning the best."
While the localization is still in
progress, there's no word on when the game will be launched. The "When"
has always been "As soon as the game's technically capable", Hartsman
pointed out. He shared a picture of the English version of the Ynystere map.