Conan Exiles Beginner Guide
Character Creation and The Cross
When you join a server you will get to create your character. The entire panel will be showing your future character on a cross, and besides customizing your character you will get to choose the race (for the moment I didn’t see any differences besides the lore behind them) and your God/Religion (this will unlock your first shrine).
Conan Exiles starting area is almost the same every time you join a server or create a new character. The first things you need to do is look around the starting point for an impaled skeleton (there are a few of them towards the first oasis, but I am talking about the closest one). Near him you will find a water pouch (filled like 30%) that can be refilled later and a message with an audible lore. God bless that stranger that left us that water, as dehydration is the first thing that will kill you.
Wondering around a little and you will find different ruins of a lost city, some of them with ancient drawings that will uncover the history of these lands, once you interact with them. If you find them near your starting location, ok, but if you miss them, don’t waste too much time looking for them as we have more important things to do like finding some food and a new source of water.
As we are still talking about the first steps into the game, let’s see the basic buttons to get things started (they are almost the same for every survival game that you played):
- E – interact with objects and gather resources;
- I – Inventory and Character Panel;
- L-Ctrl – Crouch;
- Space – Jump;
- T – Talk;
- P – change perspectives;
- Number Keys – Activate/use the toolbar options;
- Mouse Buttons (L and R) – use the left hand and right hand weapons/shield/tools.
The most important thing is to understand the meters showed on the left upper corner of your screen. From left to right we have:
- Health (you start with 200 HP, and you will be able to regenerate out of combat, as long as you’re not suffering from starvation or thirst);
- Energy (this is your stamina that gets depleted when running or hitting, so keep an eye on it before starting a fight);
- Thirst (this is pretty simple, drink some water or moisture food to fill it up);
- Hunger (same like thirst, but you will get to cook a variety of items that fill that meter in no time);
- XP (this is your xp bar, or better say your xp circle – survive/craft/kill to level up);
- Weight (that anvil icon will hint how much items you can carry).
You can increase some of them by assigning points to different stats, as you level up, but we will take a closer look in the Conan Exiles Basic Stats section.
Also note the difference in the screenshot below, where you can see hunger and thirst with a light blue colour. By eating and drinking more, after the meter is full, you will activate a state of “saturation” that will help you last longer before you need to start eating and drinking again. Surviving longer with the same amount of consumables can also be achieved by putting some skill points into the Survival stat.