Hearthstone-ish TCG Skylander Battlecast Launches Worldwide
Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc., published a new mobile game for Skylanders fans and card collection enthusiasts to play with the launch of Skylanders Battlecast. Based on Activision’s award-winning Skylanders franchise, Skylanders Battlecast is a free-to-play battle card game, which takes many of principles of Hearthstone.
Unlike Hearthstone, however, players can scan their physical cards with their mobile devices to watch cards spring to life through augmented reality. Amplifying the experience, the game also allows players to add cards to an in-game digital spell book. By collecting more cards, players will have more choices to customize their deck for battle.
Battlecast has two main modes: a campaign and a PvP multiplayer. The campaign mode consists of "over 16 missions", which take place across eight different realms. Regardless of which mode players stick to, they will be able to level up each card in the deck, making them stronger.
For the gameplay, it's pretty easy to pick up and play, though as ever, mastery will require more perseverance. There are two players, each taking turns to draw cards, playing them, and attacking the opponent.
Skylanders Battlecast Features:
· Collect all 300 Character, Spell, Gear and Relic cards
· Devise unique strategies by building decks that combine three Skylanders and take them into battle
· Battle with your favorite Skylanders Character cards
· Cast powerful Spell cards to smite foes on the field of battle
· Equip Gear cards to boost your Skylanders
· Complete challenges on each mission to earn more rewards
· Embark on daily quests to earn rewards
· Earn bonus rewards as you strive to become the Ultimate Battlecaster
· Expand your gameplay experience with physical Battlecast cards now available at your local Skylanders retailer*
· For the first time ever, you can scan physical Battlecast cards and play with your Skylanders through Augmented Reality
· Import physical cards into the game to build your digital collection
Although the app itself is free, the booster cards are going to cost you. You can do this digitally using the in-app currency of coins, which can be earned through battles or bought with real money. Alternatively you can purchase physical booster and battle packs. Whichever way you do it, booster packs cost $4.99 and come with eight cards, while battle packs will cost $9.99 and give you 22 cards for your collection.