ESL announces Frankfurt Major schedule and format
Valve's Frankfurt Major, which is being hosted by eSports broadcaster ESL One, has had its schedule and format announced today. Now that all the teams are confirmed from both the direct invite live selection and the 8 regional qualifier teams, fans can begin to plan their trip to the ticket-free (bar the finals) event in November.
According to the ESL website, the group stages will take place from November 13th-14th from 11:00 CEST to 0:00 CEST on both days, and will be played out to determine the upper and lower bracket placement of the teams for the double-elimination main event.
The groupstages will be in GSL format, which means that the 16 competing teams will be split into four groups: A, B, C and D. In each group, the teams will play a total of 5 best of 3 matches, which will determine the seeding into the main event double-elimination bracket.
Group stage example
- Match one: Team A vs. Team B
- Match two: Team C vs. Team D
- Winners’ match (WM): Winner of match one vs. winner of match two - winner advances to upper bracket
- Elimination match (EM): Loser of match one vs. loser of match two - loser drops to lower bracket
- Decider match: Loser of WM vs. winner of EM - winner advances to upper bracket and loser drops to lower bracket